Researchers are developing genetically modified chickens that are intended to be resistant to bird flu.
One concern is that the virus might evolve in response to become more virulent.
- Press articles
- BBC: GM hens help build 'frozen aviary' in Edinburgh (17th February 2017)
- Financial Times: Are these the chickens of the future? (19th February 2016)
- Global Post: Glowing in the dark, GMO chickens shed light on bird flu fight (7th September 2015)
- MNN: Could lab-created chickens wipe out bird flu? (8th March 2013)
- External links
WIPO: Patent Landscape Report on Animal Genetic Resources
Covering cattle, buffalo, pigs, sheep, goats, horses, donkeys, camels, alpacas, chickens, ducks and turkeys. (Not fish or insects).
- Econexus: GM chicken - a solution to bird flu? (January 2011)
- WIPO: Patent Landscape Report on Animal Genetic Resources